Wednesday 7 October 2015

Doctor Nick Goodfield

I have described before my visits to my Cardiologist Nick Goodfield, who acknowledges his own extreme weight easily, I find he has an unique different style of his own like most good medical people, in 8 years I have found no nurse or health service worker who doesn't like him or talk highly of him. Of course he has an ego and arrogance which in some cardiologist  I find annoying but in me he  has proved that he can back it up with success in someone another Cardiolugist didn't write off but forecast a not too bright future.

Lorna has been with me for almost all of my meetings with him and she understands it so much better than me, she is the one who has asked the questions, she is the one who told him that forget my "am ok" to every question & told him the truth.

I liked him the 1st time I met him and some of his comments are with me all the time and core to my desire to make the most of life despite my heart failure.

On my insurance company trying to not pay my critical illness insurance after diagnose  "really just leave that to me I will sort them out" a month later they paid out.

How long will I live?. "No idea look at me you will probably out live me"

Can I come off my Drugs "well you could but if stay on them you will probably die suddenly but off them it could be long & slow decline, know which one I would choose"

What are options if this doesn't work, "straight to transplant"

Can I return to work? "Only you know how you feel, you want to return I will say you can return"

"I find heart patients fall into 2 groups those that don't do anything and those that do too much, never seen anybody get it right"

On my swimming, cycling & Running training "all good just don't do them together" I had just completed London triathlon.

I don't have a relationship as such with him, I know nothing of his life, he asks I answer, I ask he sometimes ignores me as he studies my file but last week when visiting my dad in unit next to Stobhill I popped up to leave a note for him at his receptiost

"8 years ago my 1st cardiogist told me lucky if I return to work or excercised in any real way. On Saturday I finished in 14 days John O'Groats to lands end cycle, thank you for everything you have been amazing"

When I walked in to see him yesterday for my echo he asked had I recovered & thank you for note. He had a trainee with him and I so wish Lorna was with me to listen, he knew my story in detail, he spoke of the reasoning behind his rather unique decisions on me. I understand now how Frankenstein loved his creator, this man had given me an amazing 8 years and I could never thank him enough.

I so want to ask him for selfie with him for blog but I am scared to like a child to a parent so I don't. I love the NHS it is without doubt the greatest health service in the world but so much of your care comes down to luck, meeting the right people at right time, 

In every aspect of my life I look round and see how lucky I have been, Lorna, my GP,  my Cardiolugist to my current manager at work. I have been so lucky and I so understand that, yes I have fought this condition every day but I haven't done it alone I wouldnt have achieved anything without people like Dr goodfield. 






No comments:

Post a Comment