Thursday 19 November 2015

"What does a GP practice nurse do"

Lorna & I love a road trip and just need an excuse to set out on one, so 24hrs after setting out on such a trip to Manchester we are back in our own bed knackered, sore & happy.


The reason for this road trip was all my idea, the meeting we attended was originally unimportant because the sole reason I wanted to attend was to meet in person some NHS people I had followed & chatted to on Twitter. What I learned was how important a practice nurse can be offering consistancy of treatment as GP's jobs get busier. More importantly I met some incredible people.


Heather & Louise are 2 practice nurses in Manchester with a vision to make practice nurses central to chronic patient  care. A simple idea that I know makes perfect sense yet these 2 are just starting a fight to get it recognised nationwide, they have chosen to reach out from their comfort zone starting with the Conferance today because they believe so much in it, following their fight from now will be interesting, as a chronic heart condition patient these 2 are exactly the patient focus treatment I received so I know it works. Like myself they deflect praise but I found both inspiring today because I saw their passion for patients, the desire to make the NHS patient friendly & like myself I see positive & inspiring people around them.

I had followed John on Twitter and his understanding & desire for change needed in NHS but again never met him but up he stood today to address group & Like 2 above he was more impressive in person than I imagined. If you think someone on social media is interesting you can never really tell until you meet them. John exceeded my expectations 

Up next to address group was Julie Naylon newly qualified & again I loved her attitude of fully backing Heathers & Louise's patient vision because of her own experiences, chatting afterwards turns out her Doctor sister works at Maryhill health Center, small world & I look forward to following Julie's career through socail media.
I was approached by Sharon Poll a practice nurse in Liverpool with the line "you John Kinnaird" being Glaswegian my initial caution was overcome as apparently we follow each other on Twitter, the following 10 minute chat showed exactly the same passion of all those above so along with Julie I now have 2 more people to look at for examples of how the NHS can change for the better just by listening to patients.

I think along with Lorna we were 2 of a very small group of patients there today yet when I spoke to all of the above they got excited about my journey, showing genuine interest in me as a patient. I write this blog for them with the simple message

As a chronic heart failure patient believe me your patients will love you simply because you ask & listen, you all have welcoming personalities & anything myself & Lorna can do to help is no problem. I loved meeting you all today & so wish it isn't the last meeting

Well done Heather & Louise thank you for inviting us.

No comments:

Post a Comment